Global miner Rio Tinto on Monday said it has initiated proceedings against a unit of engineering contractor Monadelphous Group over a fire that occurred last year at its iron ore processing facility at Western Australia. A Rio spokesperson confirmed the suit after Monadelphous said in a statement that it would contest a writ received from Rio. Monadelphous said it was separately informed by Rio that the claim is for A$493-million ($351-million), largely consisting of losses due to inability to process iron ore during the period of repair work at the facility.
This content is only available to subscribers.
Forgot your password? Click here
Don't have any login details?Free Trial Access